Building the Tuesday – procedural sequencer assembly
Our Tuesday is almost all together. Our beloved procedural sequencer module for the Eurorack system. We had the frontplates made in Holland and the electronics made in China, so we figured we would assemble it at home and add the nuts and knobs ourselves.
The exciting journey of manufacturing usually means dealing with the unplanned, and for this ‘factory day’ we had not planned for the flux still left on all the pcbs or our boxes of packaging being stalled in Japan. For the latter we decided to go ahead with assembly anyway and to put the Tuesday modules back in the bags we received them in. Folding and finishing the packaging will have to happen when the gods of Fedex finally deliver.
The first meant we had to come up with a way to clean our electronics without hurting them. We tried aceton, nailpolish remover with and without acetone, IPA, anti-static brushes, compressed air, cue tips and chamois in various combinations. The best strategy turned out to be two rounds of IPA and brushing, followed by a round of IPA and compressed air, and a chamois with IPA around the edges. All of this OUTSIDE of course because fumes.
Parallel to this we were gluing 21 light pipes into 100 frontplates and wrapping them in black heat shrink to cancel out any light leakage. Little transparent bags with at least four top-notch screws and washers were filled and closed.
When everything was dried and cleaned, we carefully encouraged a mating ritual between the assembled frontpanel and the pcb. We did seal the bond by screwing the nuts onto the jacks and proceeded to placing the two-part knobs on the steel rods, making sure they were dialled back for maximum range. 99 fully assembled Tuesdays were going back in their anti-static bubble bags just after midnight.
It was a long day – a very happy long day.